Santa brings you ArcoLinux -D -B 19.12

[CLOSED] ArcoLinux boots into unreadable screen after new install/first boot

vancouver
Crewman
Canada
Re: [OPEN] ArcoLinux boots into unreadable screen after new install/first boot

Post by vancouver » Fri Feb 01, 2019 11:51 pm

Hi Eric and thank you for making that video.
I followed your advise and read the material you suggested. Unfortunately, I am a "working" individual and don't really have time for experimenting and tweaking. To do my work, I also need Blender 3d (beta 2.8) which requires the proprietary Nvidia drivers which I am not comfortable setting up based on what I have read. All in all, I am a bit disappointed because the ArcoLinux live boot is brilliant and your implementation of XFCE is right on (perfect).

I am typing this reply on my MSI laptop which installed ArchLinux without a problem. Even got MSI KLM to work.
Since I don't keep any work files on the laptop, I will practice installing the Nvidia drivers and test if it can run blender. If yes, then I might nuke the main workstation one last time tonight and give nomodeset a try.

Anyway, I really love your videos and will spread the word about ArcoLinux.

vancouver
Crewman
Canada

Post by vancouver » Sat Feb 02, 2019 1:05 am

Update! - I just installed the proper NVIDIA driers for the K2000m card (laptop) and at first I got 404's but after updating the repos and system, it worked. I rebooted and now I have Blender with cuda. :)

About the desktop *NVIDIA GTX 1070):
progress but no go.

I replaced the grub "quiet" text string with nomodeset and the system starts to boot. I see:
[ OK ] Started Authorization Manager.
[ OK ] Started Accounts Service.
And then the errors start. They are:
4.7658511] pcieport 0000:00:1c,5: PCIe Bus Error (ctyptic error messages like "[0] RxErr" and "[6] BadTLP").

I have booted 3 times. First with "nomodeset nouveau.modeset=0", the second time with just "nomodeset" and the last time with all 3.
It always hangs at the same spot. I think this might not be gfx releated. Maybe it's the SSD?

Ether way, I am seriously behind on several projects. I have to slap Manjaro back on get going.

erikdubois
Captain
Belgium

Post by erikdubois » Sat Feb 02, 2019 7:11 am

Thanks for trying.
It might be a totally different piece of hardware all together.

Enjoy Manjaro
Learn, have fun and enjoy.
But first use the power of the Arch Wiki
use the tutorials on https://www.youtube.com/erikdubois
then use the power of google
then use the power of our moderators.

vancouver
Crewman
Canada
Re: [CLOSED] ArcoLinux boots into unreadable screen after new install/first boot

Post by vancouver » Sat Feb 02, 2019 7:55 pm

It's a new day ....
I've read last night that I can change a BIOS setting from RAID to AHCI and maybe see success.

As far as enjoying Manjaro goes ... it's hard with having ArocLinux on my laptop and enjoying the user experience. ArcoLinux is the best distribution for those of us who have a need to share files on a local network. I followed your video tutorial and for the first time have a reliable share available.

I will try and nuke the workstation once more and after that, reinstall ArcoLinux so that it is the only OS on my laptop. I really would love to run the same OS on both devices.
Where there is a will, there is a way. :)

erikdubois
Captain
Belgium
Re: [CLOSED] ArcoLinux boots into unreadable screen after new install/first boot

Post by erikdubois » Sat Feb 02, 2019 8:17 pm

That is my motto too.

I have been called a pitbull... relentless ... I keep looking for a solution

vancouver
Crewman
Canada

Post by vancouver » Sat Feb 02, 2019 9:11 pm

Good news!
I changed the above mentioned BIOS setting from RAID to AHCI and proceeded with my 230948th install!
Now I am booted into ArocLinux and have one final question.

Should I update at this point or first install the NVIDIA GFX driver for my video card and reboot?

Reminder: I was previously able to log in but after updating, I got the same garbled screen.

I am very happy because I feel that I can finally run ArcoLinux on both machines. :)

erikdubois
Captain
Belgium

Post by erikdubois » Sat Feb 02, 2019 9:17 pm

I would take a step by step approach and reboot between so you know when it goes wrong what the last thing was to undo it.

vancouver
Crewman
Canada

Post by vancouver » Sat Feb 02, 2019 9:25 pm

OK, I will do that.
We probably won't talk for a while so I just want to take a moment and say a big thank you for all the advise and patience.

I discovered ArcoLinux while watching your network setup video and instantly knew that I had to try this distro. I am glad I did. You have created the best Linux distro there is and I will do my best to spread the word. :)

Au revoir,
- v

Return to “Installation issues of ArcoLinux iso”