ArcoLinux -D -B 19.5 iso's have been released

[CLOSED] multiple drive system

hitecPanda
Crewman
United States of America
[CLOSED] multiple drive system

Post by hitecPanda » Fri Apr 20, 2018 8:30 am

Hi,

I have 4-5 extra hard drives and would like to set up a system that let's me choose at boot time which OS I'd like to boot from using Grub 2.02. Each OS will be on its own separate hard drive. Some of the drives have OS X Sierra on them, others will have different versions of Arcolinux. I have been at this for over a week and it's been a very grueling ordeal !! I've been to multiple forums and read a ton of stuff but now am just really burnt out at this point. I didn't think this type of thing would be that difficult to do but it has been for me !! :evil:

I spent a bunch of time with the Clover bootmanager but gave up on it, I thought I'd switch over to Grub to see if I can get it going that way.

I got Grub to the point where I can see 2 OSes in the Grub menu, one is Arcolinux and the other is OS X Sierra. Arcolinux will boot up fine but I cannot get the Sierra entry to boot. The EFI boot partition and root partition are not set up correctly, I am just not that familiar with all of the settings, flags, etc.

If there is anyone here in this forum who has such a multiple drive setup, I'd appreciate if you could give some feedback. I am sure someone who has more experience than I do with a fresh pair of eyes will see something right away. Let me know what kind of details you need and I can provide scrots of the gparted disk entries, grub menu entries, or other stuff.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Hitecpanda

erikdubois
Captain
Belgium
Re: [OPEN] multiple drive system

Post by erikdubois » Fri Apr 20, 2018 8:49 am

You know I am not venturing into dual triple quadruple boots. No frustration for me.

How about this guy?

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC9z7fP ... RqCH7i7L-Q

He is posting stuff about 17 boots for linux.
Learn, have fun and enjoy.
But first use the power of the Arch Wiki
use the tutorials on https://www.youtube.com/erikdubois
then use the power of google
then use the power of our moderators.

rbrick49
Crewman
Australia

Post by rbrick49 » Fri Apr 20, 2018 11:24 am

I have 5 ssd drives I use refind as the boot manager mine are all uefi

hitecPanda
Crewman
United States of America

Post by hitecPanda » Sat Apr 21, 2018 6:46 am

It's been rather curious...I installed Refind, the first time I tried booting had same result as before but now for some reason the damn thing is letting me boot into the OS X drives ! :D What is happening is Refind pulls up the Clover manager for the OS X drives and then I can choose which OS X drive I want to boot from.

@Erik Ok, I am going to go over the Vid you put up to see if there are more details I can use.

@Redbrick49 Would you mind sharing your Refind config file showing your drives ? I'd like to take a closer look and compare it to my config file. When you say you have 5 SSD drives, are you booting into OS X as well as Linux stuff ?

My system is actually a PC which I turned into a Hackintosh, it is UEFI based.

Will report back after I've tested a few more things out. I also think I found one of the problems that could make it work with Grub, I looked more carefully at the drives and their pathways to the files in the menuentry, I think one of them has an error.

Anyway, thanks for your replies.

HitecPanda

erikdubois
Captain
Belgium

Post by erikdubois » Sat Apr 21, 2018 7:03 am

You are welcome.

If you find the solution, can you post it here later for other users.
Thanks
Learn, have fun and enjoy.
But first use the power of the Arch Wiki
use the tutorials on https://www.youtube.com/erikdubois
then use the power of google
then use the power of our moderators.

erikdubois
Captain
Belgium

Post by erikdubois » Fri Oct 26, 2018 12:12 pm

Closing old post.