ArcoLinux -D -B 19.5 iso's have been released

[SOLVED] Samsung 860 EVO 500GB issue

frans co
Crewman
Belgium
[SOLVED] Samsung 860 EVO 500GB issue

Post by frans co » Wed Aug 14, 2019 2:54 am

Hi,
Maybe someone has an idea to help me with this problem.
This morning I have cloned the first hard disk of my laptop to a new Samsung SSD, but since replacing the internal disk with the SSD my arcolinux installation refuses to start: black screen and some flickering lines on top of the screen. After updating grub (via usb or another arcolinux installation on the second hard disk) it seems to work sometimes, at least with the fallback option, but only once, the next restart the problem returns.
The same installation on hard disk works, on SSD not (I have repeated the cloning process a few times, tried changing UUID, etc...) A small Windows 10 partition on the same disk works on both HD and SSD.
To be sure it was no cloning issue, I finally decided to reinstall Arcolinux on this SSD, but even with a fresh install the problem remains.
I have a second new SSD, will try it tomorrow on a different laptop.

Any help welcome.
Thanks
Frans co

erikdubois
Captain
Belgium
Re: [OPEN] Samsung 860 EVO 500GB issue

Post by erikdubois » Wed Aug 14, 2019 8:18 pm

I have the same SSD so I guess that is not the issue...
Can it be anything else?
Learn, have fun and enjoy.
But first use the power of the Arch Wiki
use the tutorials on https://www.youtube.com/erikdubois
then use the power of google
then use the power of our moderators.

frans co
Crewman
Belgium

Post by frans co » Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:26 pm

The new SSD is clearly not the real issue.
This morning I have swapped SSD and second internal disk (with test installations of ArcoLinux and Linux Mint).
The ArcoLinux installation on the SSD (as a second disk) starts without any issue.
(Hardware : HP EliteBook 8760w, 2 internal drives, NVIDIA Quadra 4000M)

Had an NVIDIA issue before, but I think it is more of a problem with grub/bootloader on the SSD.
Seem to have seen messages as 'could not reload kernel'
By cloning the old internal disk the SSD has probably taken some Windows habits and msdos partitioning.
A reformat (gpt) and a fresh install should solve the problem, I hope.
(Since ArcoLinux runs some months already without any issues on a second laptop with a similar Samsung 840 EVO 250GB).

Thanks for your help,
Frans

erikdubois
Captain
Belgium

Post by erikdubois » Thu Aug 15, 2019 9:00 am

Clean install is always the way to go

and just one operating system per ssd will avoid lots of 'potential' frustrations.

Remember this article.

https://arcolinuxd.com/how-to-mount-an- ... and-linux/

Many of us use this system.

You can switch systems very easily with this.
Learn, have fun and enjoy.
But first use the power of the Arch Wiki
use the tutorials on https://www.youtube.com/erikdubois
then use the power of google
then use the power of our moderators.

frans co
Crewman
Belgium

Post by frans co » Thu Aug 15, 2019 1:52 pm

Topic could be closed, I guess. The issue is not really SSD (nor ArcoLinux) related and I am confident a clean install will do the trick.
An SSD bay is not an option as I have laptops only, apart from a HP Thin client converted to a headless file server (turnkey).
But the main goal was to replace HD with SSD in all my laptops and to switch entirely to ArcoLinux (hence the panic with the first new SSD).
I have still one laptop with a working dual boot (Arcolinux and a small partition with a stripped down W10).
This would be enough for the rare occasions I need Windows propietary software (to update the GPS in my car f.i.)
But maybe I should install Windows on a separate disk in the laptop with the 2 drive bays. I prefer this to using wine.
Will take my time now to build a new ArcoLinuxB iso and install this on all laptops.
All my data is already on the file server or pCloud anyway.

Many thanks for your support
Frans Cools.

PS: Calamares does not set always the boot flag when wiping and reusing an entire disk.

Return to “Kernel & Hardware”