i can only go on with the "fallback initramfs" option, then it boot normaly
what happend?
thanks

erikdubois
Captain
Belgium
Re: [OPEN] kernel panic at boot

Post by erikdubois » Mon Sep 02, 2019 6:11 am

It is often because you have a multi boot system.

Just use one operating system per harddisk or ssd.
Learn, have fun and enjoy.
But first use the power of the Arch Wiki
use the tutorials on https://www.youtube.com/erikdubois
then use the power of google
then use the power of our moderators.

poisson888
Crewman
France

Post by poisson888 » Mon Sep 02, 2019 8:52 pm

does'nt happend with other system, only Arch, let see if Manjara has also a bug...

JustaBob
Crewman
Canada

Post by JustaBob » Tue Sep 03, 2019 8:33 am

Having fought that one, it should be no surprise to you that Eric is correct that if you don't have any other systems on the drive you boot off of, there won't be a problem in the first place.

If you want to install other OS(s), then you need to let one of the Arch based distros control the boot. The Arch based system will find the other distros, and they will be able to boot, but if you let one of the other distros control the boot, many times the Arch distro's will not be able to boot.

My system is not UEFI, and has Debian and Arch based distros on the drive. I don't think this idea would work the same if it was a UEFI system, so don't try it. The system controlling the boot was a Debian based system, and neither ArcoLinuxD nor Manjaro would boot, both getting a similar error to yours...

This post worked partially for Manjaro for me to get me booted into Manjaro. Once there I was able to let Manjaro (an Arch distro) control the boot, and then I was able to boot ArcoLinux from the Manjaro grub entry for it.

I suspect that if no manjaro was involved, the instructions could be altered to look for "arch-release" instead of "manjaro-release"
https://forum.manjaro.org/t/kernel-pani ... ot/42803/6

Once I was booted into ArcoLinux, I needed to put ArcoLinux back in control of the boot.
And this post provided the other part, because ArcoLinux doesn't have the update-grub script, so you need to run it by hand
https://unix.stackexchange.com/question ... arch-linux

My boot drive is /dev/sda. My commands are based on that. Once booted to ArcoLinux from the Manjaro grub menu, in a terminal I did:

sudo grub-install --force /dev/sda
sudo grub-mkconfig -o /boot/grub/grub.cfg

if everything worked, I reboot

and the ArcoLinux boot menu came up including the Manjaro, Arco, and Debian based distros.

The moral of the story is that every time you install an OS it will probably want to take over controlling the boot, and that might not be a good thing for the other distros on the drive.

Eric, if you don't like this post, I won't get upset if you delete it... I'm just trying to help him since its the same problem I just had myself.

erikdubois
Captain
Belgium

Post by erikdubois » Tue Sep 03, 2019 8:08 pm

It is a great post.
Thanks for the assist.
Learn, have fun and enjoy.
But first use the power of the Arch Wiki
use the tutorials on https://www.youtube.com/erikdubois
then use the power of google
then use the power of our moderators.

poisson888
Crewman
France

Post by poisson888 » Thu Sep 12, 2019 11:46 am

yes it s great post and it is what happen in general, evey new instaled distro take over the boot

actualy when i instaled the last one, the manjaro, all went well, it shows all the distros and it boot fine,
then i changes with the booloader Grub Customizer , for the debian distro on first, and this error shows up , the one i post before!
Now i gave the arco first boot with grub customizer and it reconize all the 8 distro, just cannot boot on arco and manjaro directly to the normal sda where they are installed, i have to boot on the "fallback initramfs"
i saw this problem on diferent forum , but didnt found the right answer yet

Return to “General Questions”