[OPEN] ArcoLinux broke my touchpad; chaotic mouse input

ouranikos
recruit crewman
[OPEN] ArcoLinux broke my touchpad; chaotic mouse input

Post by ouranikos » Fri Dec 27, 2019 4:56 pm

This is my first time trying ArcoLinux. Coming from Manjaro, I factory reset my HP Envy and intended to create a new dual boot with Windows and ArcoLinux. In the live system, everything behaved normally but after installing it, it ended up not booting up at all. After the usual boot messages, the screen just turned off and I had to reboot into Windows or live Arco to use my computer.

At this point I noticed that in ArcoLinux, the mouse input was totally acting up, moving the coursor, clicking all around and doing some other weird stuff. My first thought of course was that my mouse was the problem but disconnecting it proved otherwise. I'm sure this is connected to my touchpad, since it is not working anymore and when I'm typing, the nonsense stops because the system disables the touchpad while typing. Also, when I touch the touchpad, the input received by the system clearly correlates to my touching the pad but in no sensical way. In Windows, the touchpad worked normally before ArcoLinux, even without the Synaptics driver installed. After Arco, the touchpad stopped working on Windows completely except for the touchpad clicks. After installing the driver the nonsense started on Windows, too. But on Windows I can disable the touchpad through Synaptics settings.

I have since tried to use Manjaro i3 and Manjaro Gnome live systems but the same happens there. This problem started with the failed installation of ArcoLinux and broke my touchpad, even on Windows and Manjaro. I would like my touchpad working again but if that's not possible, I'd like at least a way to disable it completely in Linux. Better no touchpad than a touchpad making me unable to use Linux.

erikdubois
Captain
Belgium
Re: [OPEN] ArcoLinux broke my touchpad; chaotic mouse input

Post by erikdubois » Sat Dec 28, 2019 6:41 am

I think the timing is what it is.
Your touchpad just died (or is dying) on you.

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Li ... e_touchpad

Here is how to disable it
Learn, have fun and enjoy.
But first use the power of the Arch Wiki
use the tutorials on https://www.youtube.com/erikdubois
then use the power of google
then use the power of our moderators.

Return to “Laptop”